Friday, June 8, 2007

Why Blog?

I have to admit something before I begin my first blog post: I have been resisting starting my own blog for several years now. Not because I like to go against the tide or anything but mostly because I saw them as generally self-centered depots for the less hip in society to claim something as their own and brag about themselves in the process. As it turns out, however, I was mistaken in this assumption and have since become addicted to blogs, podcasts, and any other medium of opinion that the internet has made available to our generation. The more voices that are heard on any one subject the more likely it is that there will be a discussion on said subject. Granted this means that we are likely to have a large number of blogs and other media of no value whatsoever, it can't be helped it's simply the rule of averages.

Sorry I seemed to have rambled on there for a moment. This blog isn't about other blogs or the internet but films: good films, bad films, classic films, foreign films, films so bad they are good and any other kind of film you can think of. Most of what I learned about watching films came from reading criticisms and the more criticisms I read the better I understood the art of film and how it enriches our society. My hope is two-fold: 1)That people will read this blog and 2)that when people read they will actually learn something or at least be entertained by my thoughts and opinions.
I will be reviewing at least one new film per week but I will also be discussing older films worth revisiting on an almost daily basis. So stay tuned for what is to come next, this should be interesting...

No comments: